Are you planning your trip and wondering which are the best months to visit Krakow? In this guide, we will provide you with easy and useful tips on the Krakow climate! Alongside valuable information, such as average temperatures, the rainiest months, and winter temperatures, you will discover a wealth of advice on the best activities and sights for each season. We’ll also share insights on what to pack and how to efficiently plan your trip to Krakow!
What you will find in this guide to Krakow Climate:
What are the best months to visit Krakow?
Krakow is located in the southwestern part of Poland, not far from the mighty Tatra Mountains, on the border with Slovakia. This affects its climate, making it a pleasant town to visit in any season, with winters that can be quite harsh, but just as magical.
Krakow is known for its mild climate: temperatures in the summer are usually much more pleasant than the scorching heat of many other European capitals, while in the winter they hover around freezing, which makes the weather a bit cold, but still good enough for visit the city and fully enjoy the many things to do. So when is the best time to visit Krakow and experience all that this city has to offer?
If you’re looking to enjoy the city’s outdoor attractions and warm weather, the summer months of June, July, and August are the best time to visit. During these months, the city is filled with outdoor festivals and events. These months also coincides with Krakow’s busiest tourist season, so be prepared for crowded streets and higher prices.
If you’re more interested in cultural events and indoor activities, the fall and spring months of September, October, April, and May are a good time to visit. The weather is still pleasant during these months, and the crowds are generally smaller than in the summer. If you’re planning to visit Krakow during the winter, be prepared for cold temperatures and possibly some snow. Although the city is beautiful under a blanket of snow, and this season offers a truly memorable atmosphere, be sure to pack warm clothing, consider that it gets dark early and therefore treat yourself to a more relaxed pace. Perhaps, opt for guided tours and options with transport included, they will save you from many hours in the cold waiting for public transport.
Kraków Weather Month by Month
The climate in Krakow is classified as humid continental, with hot summers and cold winters. The city experiences average high temperatures of around 20°C (68°F) in the summer and 0°C (32°F) in the winter. Krakow has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons. The average temperatures and weather in Krakow are as follows:
Kraków Weather in January
The average high temperature is around 0°C (32°F), and the average low temperature is around -5°C (23°F). This month is the coldest of the year, and there is a high chance of snow. The average monthly precipitation is around 30 mm (1.2 inches).
☞ Find out more: Krakow Weather in January
Kraków Weather in February
The average high temperature is around 1°C (34°F), and the average low temperature is around -5°C (23°F). This month is also cold, with a high chance of snow. The average monthly precipitation is around 30 mm (1.2 inches).
☞ Find out more: Krakow Weather in February
Kraków Weather in March
The average high temperature is around 8°C (46°F), and the average low temperature is around -1°C (30°F). March is a transition month between winter and spring, and the weather can be unpredictable. The average monthly precipitation is around 40 mm (1.6 inches).
☞ Find out more: Krakow Weather in March
Kraków Weather in April
The average high temperature is around 15°C (59°F), and the average low temperature is around 7°C (45°F). April is the start of spring, and the weather becomes milder. The average monthly precipitation is around 50 mm (2 inches).
Kraków Weather in May
The average high temperature is around 20°C (68°F), and the average low temperature is around 11°C (52°F). May is a pleasant month with mostly sunny and dry weather. The average monthly precipitation is around 60 mm (2.4 inches).
Kraków Weather in June
The average high temperature is around 25°C (77°F), and the average low temperature is around 15°C (59°F). June is the start of summer, and the weather becomes warm and sunny. The average monthly precipitation is around 70 mm (2.8 inches).
Kraków Weather in July
The average high temperature is around 27°C (81°F), and the average low temperature is around 16°C (61°F). July is the warmest month of the year, and the weather is generally sunny and dry. The average monthly precipitation is around 70 mm (2.8 inches).
Kraków Weather in August
The average high temperature is around 26°C (79°F), and the average low temperature is around 16°C (61°F). August is also a warm and sunny month. The average monthly precipitation is around 70 mm (2.8 inches).
Kraków Weather in September
The average high temperature is around 21°C (70°F), and the average low temperature is around 12°C (54°F). September is a transition month between summer and fall, and the weather becomes cooler and more variable. The average monthly precipitation is around 60 mm (2.4 inches).
Kraków Weather in October
The average high temperature is around 14°C (57°F), and the average low temperature is around 7°C (45°F). October is the start of fall, and the weather becomes cooler and wetter. The average monthly precipitation is around 50 mm (2 inches).
Kraków Weather in November
The average high temperature is around 8°C (46°F), and the average low temperature is around 3°C (37°F). November is a cool and wet month. The average monthly precipitation is around 40 mm (1.6 inches).
Kraków Weather in December
The average high temperature is around 3°C (37°F), and the average low temperature is around -1°C (30°F). December is the start of winter, and the weather becomes colder and wetter.
Best Things to Do in Krakow Season by Season
Krakow is an amazing city in every season. Its pleasantly relaxed atmosphere, the compact size of its charming historic old town, its rich and troubled history and its enormous cultural heritage, make it an ideal destination for any traveler and in any month.
Even the most seasoned travelers will be able to fully appreciate this city, thanks to its interesting food scene, which boasts the best of traditional Polish and Eastern European cuisine, as well as some interesting museums and some of the most important cultural and historical destinations in Europe, such as Auschwitz, the old Ghetto of Krakow and the Wieliczka Salt Mine, important for the collective memory and for a better cultural understanding of our past.
Depending on the season and the weather, you will be able to opt for those activities that best suit you, and to best experience some of the many attractions and things to do in Krakow. So, if you’re planning your trip, be sure to check out this list, so you don’t miss out on the best things to do in the season of your visit!
THINGS TO DO IN KRAKOW IN Spring (March-May)
Spring is a great season to visit Krakow. The city is not crowded with tourists, temperatures gradually become milder and this encourages outdoor activities. It’s a good time to enjoy a few day trips, to take a bike ride to beautiful Tyniec Abbey or along the Vistula, and to wander around the Old Town on foot.
- Visit Wawel Castle and the Wawel Cathedral
- Take a walk through the historic Kazimierz district
- Take a cruise on the Vistula
- Enjoy a Hike in the Tatra Mountains in Zakopane or an easy boat ride on the Dunajec River
- Explore the Schindler’s Factory Museum
THINGS TO DO IN KRAKOW IN Summer (June-August)
Summer is the main peak season in Krakow: the climate is pleasantly mild, and this makes it really pleasant to visit the Old Town and fully enjoy the outdoor activities. But this is also the best time to visit the main attractions in Krakow and the surrounding region, beautiful Małopolska (Lesser Poland).
The best hotels and hostels are very popular these months, so it is advisable to book in advance. The same goes for visits to Auschwitz and Birkenau, where advance booking is mandatory, and for the Wieliczka Salt Mine, which can only be visited with guided tours at scheduled times and limited admissions.
- Take a stroll through the Krakow Old Town
- Visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp
- Discover the little-known neighborhood of Nowa Huta, which was once Stalin’s utopian model city
- Take part in one of the fun free tours: every day there is a tour of Krakow Old Town and in the early afternoon a free tour of Kazimierz.
- Spend a relaxing day at the Chochołów Thermal Baths in the idyllic setting of the Zakopane Mountains
- Visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine
- Go cycling to Tinyec Abbey
- Go hiking in the Tatra Mountains
- Explore Ojców National Park or the picturesque village of Zalipie
THINGS TO DO IN KRAKOW IN Autumn (September-November)
Autumn is mainly a shoulder season in Kraków and Poland. So you will find cheaper fares and the city will be less crowded with tourists. Sure, Krakow is far from over-tourism, so it’s pleasant to visit in any season, but autumn has something extra: most of the museums are little visited and many picturesque corners of the city will be just for you. It will be easier to find a place in the best restaurants and you can treat yourself to one of the best spa hotels in Krakow for very little money.
- Visit the Krakow Old Town
- Visit the Czartoryski Museum and see Leonardo da Vinci’s “Lady with an Ermine”
- Go to the Wawel Hill and see the autumn leaves
- Take a walk through the Planty Park
- Spend a relaxing day at the Chochołów Thermal Baths
- Spend the rainy days in the many Krakow’s museums
- Indulge in local food and join a Food Tour
- Learn about the history and culture of Poland’s national drink on a Vodka Tasting Tour
- Have fun and experience the city’s nightlife by joining a Krakow Pub Crawl
THINGS TO DO IN KRAKOW IN Winter (December-February)
Winter is one of the best seasons to visit Krakow, and that’s no secret. In fact, this is another peak season, so it is advisable to book the best hotels and hostels well in advance, just as it is better to reserve a table in the best restaurants (even a few hours in advance is sufficient) and to book well in advance tours and tickets to visit Auschwitz and the Wieliczka Salt Mine, which are incredibly impressive during these months.
Christmas in Krakow is a magical moment: the month of December is full of events, and the city dresses up with fabulous decorations, lights, and a charming atmosphere, making this one of the best times of the year to visit it. You shouldn’t miss the fabulous Krakow Christmas Markets, which adorn the Main Market Square with nearly a hundred souvenir, craft and local food stalls. Another much-anticipated celebration is Krakow New Year’s Eve, with events, sumptuous dinners, and parties spread across the city. The weather may be harsher than you’re used to, with sub-zero temperatures and some snow. So, it’s also the best time to indulge in local food and fully enjoy the city’s museums and cultural attractions!
- Visit the Krakow Christmas Market
- Take a walk through the Krakow Old Town and see the Christmas lights
- Go ice skating and shopping at the Galeria Krakowska
- Visit the Krakow Nativity Scenes
- Go skiing in the Tatra Mountains
- Experience the magic of winter in Zakopane and try the specialties of the mountain cuisine
- Discover the best of local food with a Food Tour
- Have fun and warm up by joining a memorable Pub Crawl
- Visit the wonderful underground world of the Wieliczka Salt Mine
What to Pack for a Trip to Krakow
Here are some recommendations for what to pack for a trip to Krakow, season by season:
What to Pack for a Trip to Krakow in Spring (March-May)
- Light jackets or layers, as the weather can be variable
- Raincoat or umbrella, as spring is the wettest season in Krakow
- Comfortable walking shoes, as you will likely be doing a lot of sightseeing
- Sunglasses and a hat, as the sun can be strong during the day
- Sunscreen, especially if you are planning on spending time outdoors
What to Pack for a Trip to Krakow in Summer (June-August)
- Light, breathable clothing, as the weather can be warm and humid
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A swimsuit, if you plan on swimming at a lake, or relax at the Chochołów Thermal Baths or in a spa hotel
- Insect repellent, as there may be mosquitoes in the warmer months
What to Pack for a Trip to Krakow in Autumn (September-November)
- Dress in layers, as the weather can be variable
- Raincoat or umbrella, as autumn is the second wettest season in Krakow
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunglasses and a hat, as the sun can be strong during the day
What to Pack for a Trip to Krakow in Winter (December-February)
- Warm clothing, including a coat, gloves, and a hat
- Comfortable and warm shoes, such as boots
- Scarf and gloves to protect against the cold
- Lip balm, as the cold weather can be drying
In general, it’s also a good idea to pack a backpack or small suitcase with essentials like toiletries, medications, and any necessary documents.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kraków’s Weather
Which is the warmest month in Kraków?
July is the warmest month, with an average maximum temperature of 25°C (77°F).
Which is the coldest month in Krakow?
The coldest month is January, with an average maximum temperature of 2°C (35°F).
Which is the wettest month in Kraków?
July is the wettest month, with an average of 101 mm (4.0 in) of rainfall.
Which is the dryest month in Kraków?
February is the driest month, with an average of 32 mm (1.3 in) of precipitation.
Which is the sunniest month in Kraków?
July is the sunniest month, with an average of 203 hours of sunshine.
Useful tips to better plan your trip to Krakow
Planning your trip to Krakow? These are our in-depth guides with everything you need to know to plan an amazing trip to Krakow: